Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Duchess of Delhi - Cardiff Blogging....

It was a dark and stormy night. Off in the distance, a golden glow shimmered, like a beacon in the night, beckoning us in....


OK, nothing so romantic but we had a tip on a new Indian restaurant opened up in Cardiff Bay. The Duchess of Delhi is a unique new take on an old idea. South Asian fusion combining the best of Indian and the best of British cuisine to deliver a palate whomping experience in the most opulent of surroundings....




It will take us months to get through the varied and mouth watering menu and, like the troopers we are, we will give it our best shot, but tonight was all about first tastes. Our welcome was like old friends coming home and my immediate thought was, these people aim to please. The interior is jewelled, splashes of rich deep reds, golds and oranges, emeralds, sapphire, together with an over abundance of textures, leather, wooden fretwork, velvet, glass chandeliers, all working together beautifully....





From our table we felt a little smug, gazing outside watching people scrambling to escape the unending British downpours, whilst we ordered our feast....


This is where I will let you down. It was so good I only remembered to take photos of the starters, Duchess trio and salmon cakes. Look how good these look ....




This is the only other food related photo I took, says it all really ....


The rest of the food was equally as pleasing, both to the eye and to the belly. I had a succulent roast lamb dish served in peppers, Meg, chicken Korma and John, Chicken Awadh. Take a look at this MENUTry not to drool over your keyboard. We chose to have our coffee in their Nawab Lounge. An upstairs Banquet Mahal which can be used for private dining and events. The ceilings are draped in the finest silks, glittering chandeliers and the walls are covered in rich murals and artworks....



Overall, we can find no faults with the Duchess. My first hunch was right, they aim to please even asking at the end of our evening if there was anything they could improve on. Honestly, neither one of us could think of anything. The food is exceptional, the service top class and the surroundings, even though we were the only diners on this stormy Monday, was warm, comfortable and welcoming, also hard to leave. As if all of this wasn't enough, they even publish their own magazine, CHAAT, showcasing their love of all things spice under the banner of the British Curry Club....


If you are ever lucky enough to be in Cardiff Bay, do yourself a favour, pop in and visit with the Duchess. She'd love to see you!







Duchess of Delhi on Urbanspoon

23 comments:

  1. Di,

    I hope one day to see your Cardiff Bay and this looks like a perfect place to try. I love Indian food and in this setting I think I would enjoy it even more.

    Thanks for sharing! I hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be great Elizabeth. Cardiff Bay is wonderful, there's so much going on there, even on a rainy Monday night!
      Di
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh I am jealous! I miss the good Indian restaurants in the UK...our closest is 1 1/2 hours away! Great photos!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Ruth, when I lived in Colorado the closest Indian restaurant was 4 hours drive away in Denver. We used to drive all that way just to eat. It's the UKs favourite food! Love it.
      Di
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Wow what a great looking/sounding place.
    Glad you had a good time, love your opening lines - ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, did I fool you into thinking it was something really exciting :-)
      We had a great time.
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Di
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. The place and food look and sound wonderful and your pictures are magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mitch!
      Have you ever eaten Indian food?
      Di
      xoxo

      Delete
    2. Sure have. We had a favorite place in Santa Barbara, California, that we went to regularly. But, it was definitely not elegant like the place you've shown!

      Delete
    3. A few people have said that about Indian restaurants in the USA. Pondside below said they wer "hole in the wall". I would have thought in Santa Barbara it would be plush. They are all quite a high standard here. Britains favourite food, even above fish and chips.
      Maybe you could fly your private jet over for dinner one of these nights. I'll pick you up at CWL.
      Di
      xoxo

      Delete
    4. The restaurant in Santa Barbara that we liked so much wasn't really a hole-in-the-wall, but it wasn't anything elegant either and couldn't possibly hold a candle to Duchess of Delhi.

      Oh, what a dream to hop on my jet and join you for dinner!

      Delete
  5. It all looks so beautiful. Indian restaurants here are all rather 'hole in the wall'. I long for a really good one.
    Love the restaurant name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pondside,
      I thought they were increasing in numbers there. I'm sure they will catch on one of these days, the food is so good!
      Di
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Dearest Di!

    I am rather late here myself, due to snow storms, trying to get to work on time through it all, working on final exams....I could use a rest at a FABULOUS place like this!

    My goodness, the colors of both the décor and food...that has to make for a delightful experience. I also love how you captured the outside of the establishment, AT NIGHT! Fantastic skills you share with us dear friend, and thank YOU for always looking at beauty from all angles! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita,
      I guess when I go to these places, with the intention of blogging about it afterwards, it's just like I take you all with me. I thing "what would they like to see" and take it from there.
      Wish you could come in the flesh!
      Di
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. Loved all of the colorful decor.....Felt like I had been out to dinner myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not a normal Monday night Janey, but a wonderful change. Any night out when I don't have to cook is a good night for me :-)
      Di
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. The perfect place to get out of the rain and be transported to sunnier climes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE at first sight for me. Gorgeous, stunning photos....you are SO GOOD! And as soon as I get to Cardiff, I am picking you up, and this is where we are going!! :))) Oh, I adore Indian food so much, but this decor just seals the deal....
    I'm so glad it was a beautiful experience for you!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its really great Information about Cardiff Blogging.....I like to get more information. Best Restaurant Offers in Delhi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the wonderful blog. It is indeed informative and useful We are into the same business. For know more about us, please visit International Online Restaurant Deals in Delhi.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi, i have gone through your blog its so fantastic work you have done their. i would like to have more information from you...thanks for doing the great job..cheerup!
    best restaurants in delhi

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!
I try to respond here so check back :-)